The following are some inauthentic Ahaadeeth that are circulated amongst the people during Ramadaan. They have been attributed to the Prophet - صلى الله عليه وسلم - even though they are weak or fabricated. Initialy, this article was a translation of the work of 'Abdul Muhsin ibn 'Alee in Riyaad al Jannaan. Later, the authentication of Al Albaanee was added where possible and more inauthentic Ahaadeeth were added from different sources so it can no longer be attributed to the work of any one person.
- "O Allaah, bless Rajab and Sha'baan for us, and allow us to reach Ramadaan."
Collected by al Bazzaar and at Tabaraanee. Zaa-idah ibn Abee Raaqid is in the chain of narrators, al Bukhaaree said concerning him; Munkar al Hadeeth. An Nasaa-ee and ibn Hibbaan declared it as inauthentic. Ibn Hajar clarified its weakness in 'Tabyeen al 'Ajab bima warada fee Rajab'.
Al Albaanee stated: 'Inauthentic' [Mishkaat al-Masaabeeh: 1/306]
- "O Allaah, allow the Hilaal to emerge upon is with security and Eemaan, and with safety and Islaam."
Collected and declared inauthentic by at Tirmidhee #3447. In its chain is Sulaymaan ibn Sufyaan, he is weak. Al Haythamee said concerning its chain with at Tabaraanee; ''Uthmaan ibn Ibraheem al Haatibee is in the chain, he is weak'. Ibn al Qayyim said; 'There is weakness in the chains of narrations of this Hadeeth, it is mentioned that Abu Dawood said; 'There is no authentic Hadeeth in this chapter'.
Al Albaanee stated: 'Inauthentic chain.' with the wording: "O Allaah, allow the Hilaal to emerge upon is with security and Eemaan, and with safety and Islaam, tranquility and good health, and good provision." [As silsilah ad Da'eefah: 8/5]
He declared the following narration as Hasan [i.e. it is authentic]
"O Allaah, allow the Hilaal to emerge upon is with security and Eemaan, and with safety and Islaam, not in a state of misguidance, nor in a state of misguiding others. Our Lord and your Lord is Allah." [Dalaal al Jannah: 1/72]
- "A magnificent month has approached you…Its beginning is a Mercy, the middle of it is forgiveness, the end of it is freedom from the fire…'
It is known that it is the Hadeeth of Salmaan al Farisee. Sadly we hear a lot of the Khateebs make their Khutbas an explanation of this Hadeeth during this month while it is false. Ibn Khuzaymah collected it and said; 'if it is authentic.' 'Alee ibn Zayd ibn Jad'aan is in its chain and he is weak, in addition, Sa'eed ibn al Musayyib did not hear from him. There is Idtiraab in its chain and its text contains false meanings.
Al Albaanee stated: 'Munkar.' [As silsilah ad Da'eefah: 2/262]
- "If the servants know what is in Ramadaan, my Ummah would have wished that the whole year is Ramadaan."
Collected by Abu Ya'laa: 9/180, he said; 'Jareer ibn Ayyoub is in its chain of narrators and he is weak. Ibn Khuzaymah also collected it (#1886) and said; 'If it is authentic.'
- "Fast and you will be healthy."
Collected by Ahmad (2/380), at Tabaraanee, Abu Nu'aym and al Haakim. It is a weak Hadeeth.
Al Albaanee stated: 'Inauthentic.' [As silsilah ad Da'eefah: 1/420]
- Abdur Rahmaan ibn Samrah's long Hadeeth; "Indeed I saw a strange thing yesterday…I saw a man from my Ummah panting out of thirst, everytime he approaches a well to drink, he is forbidden and kicked out. So his fasting came and gave him to drink until his thirst was quenched.."
Collected by at Tabaraanee with two chains of narrations, Sulaymaan ibn Ahmad al Waasitee is in one of them, Khaalid ibn 'Abur Rahmaan al Makhzoomee is in the other, the both of them are weak. See; 'Itihaaf as Saadah al Mutaqeen': 8/119. Ibn Rajab also declared it as inauthentic.
Al Albaanee stated: 'Inauthentic.' [Saheeh wa Da'eef al Jaami' as Sagheer: 11/343]
- "The scent of Musk will be blown from the mouths of those who fast, and a table cloth will be spread for them under the 'Arsh. ."
As Suyootee mentioned it in 'Ad Dar al Manthoor': 1/182. Ibn Rajab and others declared it to be inauthentic.
- "Indeed Jannah is adorned and revitalized from year to year due to the coming of Ramadaan. The Hoor al 'Eeen say; 'O Allaah, grant us husbands from your servants in this month "
Collected by at Tabaraanee in 'Al Kabeer' and 'Al Awsat'. Waleed ibn al Waleed al Qalaansee is in the chain, he is weak.
- "If a fasting person eats in someone's home, the angles will accompany that person."
Al Albaanee stated: 'Inauthentic.' [As silsilah ad Da'eefah: 3/502]
- "The most beloved servants to Allaah are those who are the most hurried to break their fast.."
Collected by Ahmah 2/329, Ibn Hibaan (#886), al Bayhaqee 4/237 and al Baghawee (#1732). Qurrah ibn 'Abdur Rahmaan is in its chain of narrators and he is weak. Ibn Khuzaymah also collected it (#2062) and at Tirmidhee (#700) who declared it as inauthentic. A Hadeeth collected by both Bukhaaree and Muslim reads; 'People will continue to be upon goodness as long as they hurry to break their fast.'
- "The sleep of a fasting person is an act of worship. ."
As Suyootee collected it in 'Al Jaami' as Sagheer (#9293) mentioning that al Bayhaqee collected it but declared it as inauthentic due to 'Abdullaah ibn Abee Awfaa. Zayn ad Deen al 'Iraaqee, al Bayhaqee and as Suyootee declared it as inauthentic, see 'Al Firdaws'; 4/248 and 'Itihaaf as Saadah'; 4/322.
Al Albaanee stated: 'Inauthentic.' [As Silsilah ad Da'eefah: 10/198]
- "It may be that a fasting person does not gain anything from his fast except thirst and hunger, and it may be that a person praying Qiyaam at night does not receive anything except staying up late. "
Collected by Ibn Maajah (#1690), Usaamah ibn Zayd al 'Adawee who is weak is in its chain, but its meaning is correct.
Al Albaanee stated: 'Hasan Saheeh' [Saheeh at Targheeb wat Tarheeb: 1/262] So the Hadeeth is authentic according to al Albaanee and will be removed from this list in the future, it will remain for now so that it may be noted.
- "Whoever prays the last 'Ishaa [of Ramadaan] in congregation has witnessed Laylatul Qadr."
Collected by al Asbahaanee and Abu Musaa al Madeenee and Maalik mentioned it as a 'Balaaghah' 1/321. It is Mursal from the speech of Ibnul Musayyib. Ibn Khuzaymah also collected it (#2195), 'Uqbah ibn Abee al Hasnaa is in its chain and he is 'Majhool' as declared by ibnul Madeenee.
- "If the last ten days came in, women would be avoided, Ghusl would be practiced between the two Adhaans and breaking the fast would be delayed until Sahoor"
A false Hadeeth, Hafs ibn Waaqid is in the chain. Ibn 'Adee stated; 'This is from amongst the most Munkar Hadeeth I've seen from him. The Hadeeth was narrated with a number of chains all of them weak.
- "Whoever fasts one day after ['Eed] al Fitr, it is as if he fasted the whole year." and the Hadeeth; " The person who fasts after Ramadaan is like the person who returns to battle after fleeing."
It was mentioned in; 'Kanz al 'Ummaal' (24124), it is a weak Hadeeth.
- "Whoever fasts Ramadaan, Shawwaal, Wednesdays and Thursdays will enter Jannah.."
Collected by Ahmad 3/416, there is a narrator in it who was not named, the Hadeeth is inauthentic in any case.
- "Do not use Kuhl in Ramadaan while you are fasting. ."
Collected by Abu Dawood (#2377) he said; 'Ibn Ma'een said 'This Hadeeth is Munkar'.
Al Albaanee stated: 'Munkar' [Silsilat al Ahadeeth as ad Da'eefah wal Mawdoo'ah: 3/75]
- "The one who remembers/mentions Allaah in Ramadaan is forgiven. "
It was mentioned by as Suyootee in al Jaami' as Sagheer (#4312) stating that at Tabaraanee collected it in 'Al Awsat' as well as al Bayhaqee in 'Ash Shu'ab'. Hilaal ibn 'Abdur Rahmaan is in its chain and he is weak.
Al Albaanee stated: 'Fabricated.' [As Silsilah ad Da'eefah: 8/123]
- "Fasting is during the winter."
Collected by at Tirmidhee (#797). It is Mursal, Numayr ibn 'Areeb is in its chain, and none of the scholars declared him to be trustworthy except ibn Hibbaan, he [Numayr] is weak.'
The wording "Fasting during the winter is an easy prize." was authenticated by Albaanee in Saheeh wa Da'eef al Jaami' as Sagheer: 1/732 where he said: 'Hasan.'
- "Seek aid for fasting during the day by eating Suhoor, and seek aid for the night prayer by sleeping a Qayloolah."
Collected by al Haakim and ibn Maajah. Zum'ah ibn Saalih and Salamah ibn Wahraam are in its chain, they are both weak therefore the Hadeeth is weak.
Al Albaanee stated: 'Inauthentic.' [As Silsilah ad Da'eefah: 6/256]
- "If a person breaks his fast during Ramadaan without an excuse, if he fasted a whole year to make it up it wouldn't be sufficient. "
Collected by Abu Dawood (#2396), at Tirmidhee (#723) and he said; 'We do not know this Hadeeth except with this path. I heard Muhammad – meaning al Bukhaaree – saying 'Abu al Matoos is in its chain, and I do not know any Ahaadeeth that he narrated except this one.' Ibn Hajar states in 'Al Fat-h' 4/161; 'Abu al Matoos is the only person who narrates this Hadeeth, and I do not know whether he heard Ahaadeeth from Abu Hurayrah or not'. Adh Dhahabee said in 'As Sughraa'; 'It is not authentic.'.
- "O Allaah, for You I fasted, and with Your provision I broke my fast."
Collected by Ibn as Sunnee in ''Amal al Yawm wal Laylah' (#481) and Abu Dawood (#2358). 'Abdul Malik ibn Haaroon ibn 'Antara is in its chain, Ahmad and ad Daarqutnee declared him to be weak. Ad Daarqutnee stated; 'Yahyaa said; 'He is likewise [i.e. weak]. Abu Haatim stated; 'He is Matrook'. Ibnul Qayyim stated in Zaad al Ma'aadh 2/51; 'This Hadeeth is not authentic.'
Al Albaanee stated: 'Inauthentic.' [Saheeh was Da'eef Sunan Abu Dawood: 5/358]
- "Three things do not void the fast; Hijaamah, throwing up and [unintentional] sexual discharge.'"
Collected and declared inauthentic by at Tirmidhee (#719). Rather Hijaamah voids the fast, and so does throwing up if one does it purposefully, as for [unintentional] sexual discharge then no.
- "The gift for a fasting person is [scented] oil and Mujmar [what incense is burnt on]."
Reported and declared inauthentic by at Tirmidhee (#801), Sa'd ibn Tareef is in its chain and he is weak.
Al Albaanee stated: 'Fabricated.' [As Silsilah ad Da'eefah: 6/97]
- "Every night, Allaah frees 600 000 people from the fire, on the last night of Ramadaan, Allaah frees the same amount of those freed in the past days of Ramadaan."
Reported by al Bayhaqee, it is Mursal from the speech of al Hassan al Basree.
- "Fasting is half of patience. "
Musa ibn 'Ubaydah is in its chain of narrators, there is a consensus amongst the scholars that he is weak. It was collected by at Tirmidhee (#3519), ibn Maajah (#1745), Ahmad and al Bayhaqee. It was declared inauthentic by al Albaanee in 'Da'eef al Jaami''.
Al Albaanee stated: 'Inauthentic.' [Saheeh wa Da'eef al Jaami' as Sagheer: 1/626]
- "Whoever prays Qiyaam on the night of 'Eed." and in another narration; " Whoever stays up [in worship] on the night of 'Eed hoping for the reward, his heart would not die on the day that hearts die."
Collected by ibn Maajah, Baqeeyah is in the chain and he is a 'Mudalis', he narrated the Hadeeth using – 'an – therefore the Hadeeth is weak.'
Al Albaanee stated: 'Fabricated.' with the wording: "Whoever stays up in worship both nights of the two 'Eeds hoping for reward…" [Saheeh wa Da'eef al Jaami' as Sagheer: 1/626]
- "There is no Riyaa in fasting. ."
Al Bayhaqee collected it on the authority of ibn Shihaab az Zuhree, it is Mursal.
Al Albaanee stated: 'Fabricated.' [Al Jaami' as Sagheer wa Ziyaadatih: 1/1038]
- "Fasting Ramadaan in Madeenah is equivalent to fasting a thousand months elsewhere. " In another narration; "It is better than fasting a thousand months in any other land."
Collected by al Bayhaqee, he said; 'Its chain is weak.' It was also collected by at Tabaraanee in 'al Kabeer', ad Diyaa in 'al Mukhtarah'. Al Haythamee stated; ''Abdullaah ibn Katheer is in its chain and he is weak.' Adh Dhahabee stated in 'Al Meezaan'; 'Its chain is gloomy/darkness.'
- "Ramadaan is the leader of the months, and Dhul Hijjah is the greatest amongst them in Hurmah."
Collected by al Bazaar and ad Daylamee. Yazeed ibn 'Abdul Malik an Nufaylee is in its chain. It was also mentioned by al Haythamee in 'Majma' az Zawaa-id' 3/140.
- "Indeed there are angels in the sky, no one knows of their number except Allaah. When Ramadaan comes in, they take permission from their lord to join the Ummah of Muhammad - صلى الله عليه وسلم – during Salaat at Taraweeh.'"
Collected by al Bayhaqee in 'Ash Shu'ab 3/337, it is Mawqoof on the authority of 'Alee. As Suyootee declared it to be inauthentic in ad 'Dar al Manthoor' 8/582 as well as al Mutqee al Hindee in 'Kanz al 'Ummaal' 8/410.
- "The fasting person has a supplication while he is breaking his fast that is not rejected."
Collected by Ibn Maajah # 1753, Al Bayhaqee # 3904 and others.
Al Albaanee stated: 'Inauthentic.' [Irwaa al Ghaleel: 4/41]
The following Hadeeth was authenticated by al Albaanee: "Three people will not have their supplication rejected; the just ruler, the fasting person when he breaks his fast, and the suppliction of the oppressed..." [Saheed wa Da'eef Sunan at Tirmidhee: 6/25]
"Let the fasting person stay clear of Kuhl."
Collected by Abu Dawood [1/373] and al Bayhaqee [4/262].
Al Albaanee stated: 'Munkar.' [Silsilat al Ahadadeeth ad Da'eefah wa Mawdoo'ah wa Atharuha as Say-I fil Ummah: 3/75]
"Do no apply Kuhl during the day in Ramadaan while you are fasting. Apply Kuhl at night for it clears the sight and aids hair growth."
Al Albaanee stated: 'Munkar.'
[Silsilat al Ahadadeeth ad Da'eefah wa Mawdoo'ah wa Atharuha as Say-i fil Ummah: 3/75]
Collected by ibn Maajah and others. Ishaaq ibn 'Ubayd Allaah al Madanee is in the chain, he is unknown as al Mundhiree stated. Ibnul Qayyim declared the Hadeeth to be inauthentic in 'Zaad al Ma'aadh', it was also declared as inauthentic by at Tirmidhee. There is another Hadeeth that bears witness to its meaning that was collected by al Bayhaqee 3/345, however Abu Madlah is its chain, 'Alee al Madeenee said concerning him; 'Majhool'. Adh Dhahabee stated; 'He is barely known.' So the Hadeeth is inauthentic.
Al Albaanee stated: 'Inauthentic.' [Irwaa al Ghaleel: 4/41]
"The day of your fast is the day of your slaughter."
Al Imaam Ahmad stated: 'Two Hadeeths that are circulating in the markets have no basis; 'The beggar has a right even if he comes riding on a horse.' and ' The day of your fast is the day of your slaughter.'[Asnaa al Mataalib: P.229]
As Suyootee stated: 'A lie that has no basis.' He also said: 'Falsehood, it has no basis.' [Ad Durrar al Manthoorah: P.22]
Shaykhul Islam ibn Taymiyyah stated: 'Some of them narrate a Hadeeth on the authority of the Messenger - صلى الله عليه وسلّم - that is unknown in the books of Islam and was not narrated by any scholar at all; 'The day of your fast is the day of your slaughter.' [Majmoo' al Fataawaa: 25/179]
"Five things nullify the fast and break ablution; lying, Gheebah, Nameemah, lustful gazes, and false oaths." [Jaami al Ahadeeth # 1199]
As Suyootee stated: 'Fabricated!' [Al La-aalee al Masnoo'ah: 2/90]
Ibnul Jawzee stated: 'Fabricated!' [Al Mawdoo'aat: 2/195]
Ibn Abee Haatim stated: 'I heard my father saying; 'This Hadeeth is a lie, and Maysarah ibn 'Abdi Rabihi used to make up Hadeeths.' ['Ilal al Hadeeth: 1/258 #766]
"Whoever performs 'Itikaaf for ten days in Ramadaan, it would be as he performed Hajj and 'Umrah twice."
[Collected by al Bayhaqee in ash Shu'ab #3966 and al Mundhiree in at Targheeb wat Tarheeb #1649]
Al Albaanee stated: 'Fabricated!' [As Silsilah ad Da'eefah: #1649]
"Do not say Ramadaan, for indeed Ramadaan is amongst the names of Allah, but say; 'the month of Ramadaan."
Collected by al Bayhaqee in as Sunan al Kubraa: # 7693.
Ibn al Jawzee mentioned it in al Mawdoo'aat and said: "This Hadeeth is fabricated, it is not authentic." [Al Mawdoo'aat: 2/187]
Al Albaanee stated: 'Falsehood!' [As Silsilah ad Da'eefah: 6768]
- "Indeed Allah does not leave anyone from amongst the Muslims in the morn of the first day of Ramadaan except that he has forgiven him/her."
Collected by ibn al Shajaree in Al Amaanee ash Shajariyyah: 1/225
It was mentioned by ash Shawkanee in al Fawaa-id al Majmoo'ah: # 6 where he said: "It is not authentic, there is a liar in the chain."
It was also mentioned by al Suyootee in al La-aalee al Masnoo'ah: 2/86 where he stated: "It is not authentic, Salaam is a discarded narrator and Ziyaad is a liar."
Al Albaanee stated: 'Fabricated!' [As Silsilah ad Da'eefah: # 296]
- "When the last ten days of Ramadaan came in, the Messenger of Allah - صلى الله عليه وسلم - used to tighten his Izaar and not approach his bed until Ramadaan ended."
Collected by ibnu Khuzaymah in his Saheeh: # 2216 and al Bayhaqee in Shu'ab al Eemaan: # 3624.
Ash Shaykh al Albaanee: 'Inauthentic.' [Saheeh wa Da'eef al Jaami' as Sagheer wa Ziyaadaatih: 1/988]
It should be known that inauthentic Ahaadeeth are not to be acted on, not in Fadaa-il, Ahkaam or otherwise according to the preponderant opinion amongst the people of knowledge. We worship Allaah with what was authentically narrated on the authority of the Messenger of Allaah - صلى الله عليه وسلم. It is not permissible to attribute an inauthentic Hadeeth to the Prophet - صلى الله عليه وسلم – except when clarifying its weakness. Shaykh Muhammad ibn 'Abdul Wahhaab stated; "It is not permissible for anyone to narrate a Hadeeth except while knowing if it is authentically reported on the authority of the Messenger of Allaah - صلى الله عليه وسلم - or not, due to the Hadeeth; "Whoever says that I said something which I didn't, then let him prepare his seat in the Fire." Collected by al Bukhaaree, and Allaah knows best, and may the Salaat and Salaam be upon our prophet Muhammad - صلى الله عليه وسلم.
Translator's note: All Imaam al Albaanee's authentication was added by the translator.
For those who have heard some of our beloved scholars using some of these Ahaadeeth, then here is some differing amongst the people of knowledge, past and present, concerning using inauthentic Ahaadeeth in Targheeb and Tarheeb, i.e. encouraging the Muslims to practice goodness and warning them from practicing evil. Some scholars hold it permissible to use inauthentic Ahaadeeth in this case. For example they may know the weakness of the Hadeeth "Fast and you will be healthy." However they still mention it because it may encourage a lot of lazy people to fast Mondays and Thursdays for example. They see the permissibility of doing so in order to get the Muslims to perform acts of worship that would only benefit them, with the condition that the Hadeeth is not severely weak, that it is not stated that the Messenger - صلى الله عليه وسلم - said it or believed that the Hadeeth is authentic, rather its weakness must be clarified. And thirdly, that the action being called to falls under an established legislated principle. Others hold that it is not permissible to use them altogether.